Registration is open!
To meet the MAP educators,
Ready for science after school? Your child can enjoy afternoons at Morehead participating in our exciting, hands-on Morehead Afterschool Program. Located on UNC's campus, this quality program fuels the natural inclination of K-5 children to explore and discover the world around them.
Designed to foster a lifelong love of science, MAP is one of a kind. We’ve incorporated elements of Morehead’s incredibly successful summer camps with components of the best afterschool programs. We explore different topics and themes, all relating to discovery, invention and imagination. And of course, we create a warm, nurturing environment where your child can make friends and have fun.
Plus, we value being a “green” and environmentally-sustainable afterschool program. MAP models "green" behaviors for the community by using public transit, choosing reusable materials whenever possible and incorporating environmental science into its programming.
MAP is designed and directed by experienced science educators and staffed by UNC science, education and related majors who are dedicated to sharing science with children. We also take advantage of our location on the UNC campus by engaging with world-class UNC faculty, touring campus labs and visiting UNC's other top-notch cultural resources.
- MAP will chaperone free transportation (via Chapel Hill Transit) to the program from five schools during the 2012–2013 academic year:
- Carrboro Elementary
- Ephesus Road Elementary
- Frank Porter Graham Elementary
- McDougle Elementary
- Morris Grove Elementary
- Ages served: Rising kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Children will be divided into age-appropriate groups.
- Staff-to-child ratio of one staff member to no more than 10 children.
- Location: MAP is located on UNC’s campus at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center. 250 East Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- MAP follows the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School's calendar.
- For 2012-2013, the program begins on Aug. 27, 2012. The last day of the program is June 7, 2013.
- Daily hours: 2:30–5:45 p.m., Monday–Friday.
Transportation and Green Initiatives
- MAP is going GREEN. We want this program to be as environmentally-sensitive as possible and to teach our children by example.
- As an illustration of the importance of mass transit, transportation is provided from selected schools to Morehead via the Chapel Hill Transit system.
- Morehead educators will pick students up from school at dismissal and accompany them on the appropriate CH Transit bus.
- This supervised door-to-door service is provided free of additional charge.
- Program materials and supplies will be recycled and/or re-used whenever possible.
- Healthy snacks will be provided (locally sourced, when available).
Sample Daily Program
|2:30 p.m.||Pick up from selected school|
|2:45–3:45 p.m.||Arrival at Morehead and outside activity, weather permitting|
|4–5 p.m.||Science activity|
|5–5:30 p.m.||Storytime, quiet play, and/or homework help (depending on age group)|
|5:30–5:45 p.m.||Pick up|
Registration and Fees
- Spaces are limited.
- We are only accepting online registration for this program.
- A nonrefundable charge of $150 per child is due upon registration. This charge includes both the $75 registration and materials fee and the $75 tuition payment for August (afterschool is offered only one week in August).
- After registering your child, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a contract and health forms attached. Please complete, sign and return these forms to Morehead within ten business days from registration. Forms may be hand-delivered to Morehead or may be mailed to this address: Morehead Afterschool Program, Campus Box #3480, UNC, Chapel Hill, NC 27599.
- Monthly tuition is $300 per child. You may pay for the entire year in advance during registration or pay month-to-month through an automatic charge to your credit card on file (applied on the first day of the month).
- If more than two children from the same family enroll in MAP, the third child (and each additional child) will receive a 30-percent discount on all MAP fees.
Questions? For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 843-7967.